Estimated 10-15 hours/per month (specific hours TBA)
The Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame, dedicated to honouring the rich tradition of horse racing across Canada, is seeking a part-time Bookkeeper.
Under the direction of the Managing Director, and reporting to the Board of Directors, the successful applicant will be responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping, accounting and administrative support duties including but not limited to financial record keeping and transactions, accounts payable, receivable, general ledger, and database management.
Desired individual will have:
- Advanced experience with Simply Accounting or Quick books
- Experience working in a non-profit/charity setting,
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact in communications with a diversity of individuals,
- Strong organizational and time management skills, acute attention to detail and ability to work well with committees, chairs, the Managing Director and Board members.
This position will be performed remotely, with attendance for meetings, (either remotely or in person) on a quarterly basis
Hours: Average 10-15 hours per month with possible seasonal variations
Compensation: $20/hour (negotiable based on skill level)
- Advanced proficiency in Simply Accounting and/or Quickbooks a must
- Non-profit/charity organization experience a plus
- Minimum three to five years’ related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Additional proficiency in Windows operating systems and with Microsoft Office, Excel, Google Docs and Internet Explorer/Firefox.
- Experience working with online banking and credit card payment software. (Paypal, Shopify)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Good judgment, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Experience with database software (SUMAC)
- Understanding of and commitment to the Hall of Fame’s mission.
- Familiarity with the Standardbred and/or Thoroughbred racing industry.
- Familiarity with WordPress website software an asset.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare, records and transactions.
- Performs billing for hall related activities.
- Issues charitable receipts for donations via database software (SUMAC)
- Issues checks for bills and reimbursements in an accurate and timely manner; ensures that all expenditures are appropriately categorized.
- Pays HST
- Collects checks and other payments from third parties
- Collects past due accounts
- Works closely with the Managing Director
- Reconciles bank accounts and provides monthly reports to the planning committee; keeps clear records of all account activity and alerts Managing Director to any concerns, issues or past due accounts in timely manner.
- Prepares financial reports and attends meeting to present to Board of Directors. (Semi-annually or as required)
- Proactively maintains highly organized filing system; files invoices, payroll paperwork, reimbursements and other financial records.
- Prepares year end books for submission to independent auditor.
- Update database records of donors, contributors and vendors, sponsors
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Assists in the development and implementation of systems and procedures as needed.
- Supports Managing Director as needed with additional administrative duties, including website and social media updates, and event preparation.
- Assists with special projects or does research as assigned, including annual induction gala, fundraising activities
- Assists with Hall events, and outreach activities at racetracks as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Managing Director, committee chairs and board members.
Application instructions: To apply, please send a quality cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of business October 29, 2021
We thank all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Physically located at Woodbine Racetrack, in Toronto, the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame, a registered charity, each year honours the best in the Canadian horse racing industry and preserves the history of thoroughbred and standardbred racing throughout Canada.
Additional information about the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame can be found at www.canadianhorseracinghalloffame.com