Bookkeeper – Part-time
8 hours/week (one day per week, specific hours TBA)
Summary of Job Description
Under the direction of the Managing Director, this position is responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping and accounting duties including financial record keeping and transactions including accounts payable, receivable and general ledger.
Desired individual will have:
- Advanced experience with Simply Accounting.
- Experience working in a non-profit/charity setting,
- An outgoing and friendly personality,
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact in communications with a diversity of individuals,
- Strong organizational and time management skills, acute attention to detail and ability to work well with committees, chairs, the managing director and Board members.
This position is based at Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame, 555 Rexdale Boulevard with possibility of working remotely.
Hours: Average 8 hours per week with possible seasonal variations
Compensation: $18/hour (negotiable based on skill level)
- Advanced proficiency in Simply Accounting a must
- Non-profit/charity organization experience a plus
- Three to five years’ related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Additional proficiency in Windows operating systems and with Microsoft Office 2010, Excel, Google Docs and Internet Explorer/Firefox.
- Experience working with online banking and credit card payment software. (Paypal, Shopify)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Good judgment, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Experience with database software (SUMAC)
- Understanding of and commitment to the Hall of Fame’s mission.
- Familiarity with the Standardbred and/or Thoroughbred racing industry.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare, records and transactions.
- Performs billing for hall related activities.
- Issues charitable receipts for donations via database software (SUMAC)
- Issues checks for bills and reimbursements in an accurate and timely manner; ensures that all expenditures are appropriately categorized.
- Pays HST
- Collects checks and other payments from third parties
- Collects past due accounts
- Works closely with the Managing Director
- Reconciles bank accounts and provides monthly reports to the planning committee; keeps clear records of all account activity and alerts Managing Director to any concerns, issues or past due accounts in timely manner.
- Prepares financial reports for presentation to Board of Directors. (Semi-annually or as required)
- Proactively maintains highly organized filing system; files invoices, payroll paperwork, reimbursements and other financial records.
- Prepares year end books for submission to independent auditor.
- Update database records of donors, contributors and vendors.
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Assists in the development and implementation of systems and procedures as needed.
- Assists with special projects or does research as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Managing Director, committee chairs and board members.
Application instructions: To apply, please send a quality cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 17, 2014.
We thank all those who apply, but only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.